I desconstruct elements from diverse places and peoples, and reweave them into compositions which resonate with anyone, anywhere, or so I hope.
The fluid motion of robes of a whirling dervish echo the renderings of Degas’ ballerina skirts; the Islamic calligraphy and poetry interspersed in my work support the pieces visually and are meant to welcome the uninitiated into the depth and beauty of words which inspire my painting.
I am in the process of adjusting the medium to my evolving style – from oils to acrylics, from flat to layered multi-media, and a return to my earliest style which was semi-abstract and informal.
One of my intentions is to produce a series of paintings which celebrate the Mathnavi of the poet Rumi, his greatest and largest piece work. My way of paying homage to the one who has inspired me since my first visit to Konya at the age of 9 would be to render the verses in calligraphy – autonomously, or in combination with scenes of the Sufi order.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art (Printmaking)
- Art Students’ League, New York (Portrait Painting and Anatomy)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (Video and Filmmaking)
- Fleischer Art Memorial, Philadelphia (Oil Painting and Color)
Exhibitions & Awards
- 2015 “Whirlings & Turnings”, Phoenix Village Art Center, Phoenixville, PA
- 2015 “Her Story” ArtFusion, 19464 Gallery, Pottstown, PA
- 2015 Daylesford Abbey Annual Art Show, Paoli, PA
- 2015 “1000 Words”, ArtFusion, 19464 Gallery, Pottstown, PA
- 2014 Annual Members’ Show, Phoenix Village Art Center, Awarded: Best of Show in 2D
- 2014 Phoenixville Director’s Invitational
- 2010 Fleisher Art Memorial Student Show, Philadelphia, PA
- 2008 National Arts Program Art Show, Crozer, Chester Medical Center
- Early exhibitions at the United Nations & Asia House, New York